Amateur chefs from all over the world take pride in the cooking that they do from the comfort of their homes. While some of those people are proud of the gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches they make, others are proud of the fact that they can make their own pasta. If you know anything about making your own pasta from scratch, then you understand the importance of properly drying your pasta before cooking it.
With that being said, it’s essential to have a reliable pasta drying rack at your disposal. Now, before we get into why a pasta drying rack is so beneficial, let’s take some time to check out some of the best pasta drying racks available on the market today.
Editor’s Picks : 3 Best Pasta Drying Rack
Best 5 Pasta Drying Rack: Selected
1. Bellemain Large Wood Pasta Drying Rack
It goes without saying that making your own pasta can be a fun experience for the whole family. Unfortunately, it can also be messy and a bit stressful, especially if you don’t have the right pasta drying rack to help you through the process. Luckily, Bellemain makes a reliable pasta drying rack at an extremely affordable price. This Large Wood Pasta Drying Rack from Bellemain is not only capable of standing on your counter without toppling over, but it’s also large enough to dry up to eight servings of pasta at one time. One of the greatest aspects of this pasta drying rack is the fact that it can collapse with ease. All you need to do is pull the pieces apart when you’re done using it and place it nicely back into the drawer that it came from. If you’re looking for a pasta drying rack that won’t consume all of your counter space, then this rack from Bellemain would be the perfect addition to your home.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to use
- Large enough to make a lot of pasta at one time
- This product doesn’t come with a transfer wand
- The rods on the rack can break
- Holes in the post may be too small for the rods
2. Norpro 1048 Pasta Drying Rack
Every person has their own way of getting things done, and this is especially true when it comes to making your own pasta. While some people enjoy making their pasta into short strips, others prefer to make long strings of pasta to create the ideal Italian dish. Unfortunately, for those of you who prefer to make long strips, it can be difficult to accommodate the length when it comes to drying the pasta. With that being said, this Pasta Drying Rack from Norpro can put an end to all of your troubles. Standing at 16 ½ inches tall, this drying rack is more than capable of fitting all of your pasta without running the risk of it not drying properly because it’s dragging on the counter. Made out of the environmentally friendly Rubberwood, this Pasta Drying Rack from Norpro would make a great drying rack for you to use in your home.
- Simple to clean
- Easy to assemble
- Can store effortlessly
- Holes may not be big enough to fit the dowels
- May fall apart
- The rack may be wobbly
3. Pasta Drying Rack by Ipekar
If you consider yourself to be an avid pasta maker, then you most certainly understand the importance of having a pasta drying rack that can actually get the job done the right way. While plenty of products can hold your pasta for you, there are only a few that can do the job safely without the fear of contamination. When using products that come into direct contact with your food, you have to make sure that the product is safe enough to eat off of. With that being said, this Pasta Drying Rack from Ipekar certainly fits the bill. Made out of top-grade ABS, FDA certified food-grade plastic, you don’t have to worry about a food safety problem with this product. If you’re looking for a pasta drying rack that is easy to assemble, easy to use, and easy to clean, then this rack from Ipekar might just be the one you’ve been looking for.
- Comes with a stainless steel pasta ruler for making the perfect proportions
- Easy to clean
- Has a stable base
- Pieces do not disassemble
- May tip over if pasta isn’t evenly put onto it
- Takes up a lot of room on the counter
4. Hin Plus Collapsible Pasta Drying Rack
There are some people out there who would like to make their own pasta at home, but they don’t have the extra counter space to accommodate a pasta drying rack. Luckily, there are companies out there that take this into consideration while they’re making their products. With that being said, this Collapsible Pasta Drying Rack from Hin Plus is the perfect drying rack for those of you who would like to make their own pasta, but are hesitant because of your available counter space. Made out of restaurant quality FDA-approved, BPA-free, and environmental ABS plastic, this foldable drying rack would be the perfect drying rack for those of you who don’t have a lot of counter space. And the fact that it’s so easy to use (all you have to do is turn a wheel to make it expand), you’ll be making pasta for the whole family in no time with this Pasta Drying Rack from Hin Plus.
- Easy to use
- Comes in different colors
- May not be sturdy enough for large amounts of pasta
- This rack isn’t able to hold extra-long pieces of pasta
- Instructions are difficult to understand
5. G&M Professional Pasta Drying Rack
Just because you aren’t a professional chef living in Italy doesn’t mean that you can’t make pasta like a professional. The fact that you make your own pasta from scratch is proof of that, but with this G&M Professional Pasta Drying Rack, there will be no doubt in your mind that you’re just as good as the pros. This 16-inch tall drying rack comes with fold-out arms that provide the maximum amount of drying space. In fact, this rack can actually hold up to four pounds of pasta at one time. You also don’t have to worry about it taking up too much space on your counter because this drying rack from G&M folds flat for convenient storage. With its lifetime warranty, you can be guaranteed that you won’t be disappointed after purchasing this item. If you’re looking for a pasta drying rack that can handle the big jobs, then this one from G&M would be absolutely perfect for you!
- It’s easily usable
- Convenient to store
- Holds up to four pounds of pasta at one time
- The knob may break
- The arms may be hard to adjust
- May not contain high-quality plastic
How Do I Cook the Perfect Pasta?
Now that you’re well on your way to making your own pasta from scratch, it’s essential that you understand how to actually cook the perfect pasta dish for your family. If you’ve noticed that your pasta is clumpy or mushy, then keep reading to discover how to cook perfect pasta every single time.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
– A large pot
– Your freshly made pasta
– A colander
1. Boil Water in a Large Pot
To ensure that your pasta doesn’t stick together, make sure that you use at least four quarts of water for every one pound of noodles.
2. Add at Least One Tablespoon of Salt to the Water
Putting salt into the water adds flavor to the pasta. While one tablespoon is recommended, it’s okay to use more than that.
3. Add Your Homemade Pasta
Once the water is boiling, pour the pasta into it the pot. Make sure that you don’t break the pasta in half because it will soften up within 30 seconds and will surely fit into the pot.
4. Stir the Pasta
As the pasta begins to cook, make sure to stir it very well with the tongs. Doing so will prevent the noodles from sticking to each other or to the pot.
5. Taste Test the Pasta
While you should certainly follow the directions on the package, unless you’re using your own pasta, you should always taste the pasta before taking it out of the water. This will ensure that the pasta has the right texture. Pasta that is cooked properly should be a little chewy or al dente!
6. Drain the Pasta
When the pasta has the right texture, drain it into a colander. If you’re planning on serving it hot, add your sauce to the pasta right away. If you’re planning on making pasta salad or another cold dish, make sure to run the pasta under cold water in order to stop the cooking process.
Do You Need a Pasta Drying Rack?
- If you’d like to make your own pasta, it’s important that you understand the steps that need to be taken. With that being said, properly drying the pasta is one of the most important steps. While you don’t necessarily need a pasta drying rack to get that done, it sure does make the process a lot simpler.
How Long Do You Dry Pasta on a Rack?
- The answer to this question is dependent on when you will be cooking the pasta. If you plan on cooking the pasta as soon as it’s done drying, then it only needs to dry for approximately 15 minutes. If you plan on storing the pasta long-term, then you’ll need to dry it for 12-24 hours so that it drys thoroughly.
Can You Dry Pasta in the Oven?
- While you don’t necessarily need to use a drying rack to dry your pasta, you should never put it into the oven to dry. When pasta is dried too quickly, it becomes brittle and will begin to crack. This is exactly what will happen if you dry the pasta in the oven, even if it’s at a very low temperature.
Can You Cook Pasta Without Boiling Water?
- When pasta is added to water before it’s boiling, it can become extremely mushy. Pasta tends to break down much faster in tepid water because the starch dissolves faster. The pasta needs the intense heat of boiling water to “set” the outside of the pasta, which ultimately prevents it from sticking together.
What Heat Do You Cook Pasta On?
- In order for pasta to thoroughly cook the right way without becoming mushy, it’s important to cook it at the right temperature. With that being said, you should always get your water to a boil before adding your pasta. After, cooking it on medium-high heat should be just fine to cook the pasta properly.
How Do You Store Fresh Pasta?
- If you’re not planning on eating your pasta the same day that you’ve made it, or you made a little too much for one meal, then you can store it in your refrigerator for up to two days. Just make sure to dust them with flour and allow them to dry on a baking sheet for a few minutes before putting them into the refrigerator.
As you can see, there are plenty of great choices out there to choose from when it comes to buying your own pasta drying rack. While we’ve shown you some of the best on the market today, we have to say that the Wooden Pasta Drying Rack from Bellemain is the one that we would choose. This pasta rack is not only easy to assemble and easy to clean, but it’s also big enough to dry extra-long pieces of pasta. Not to mention the fact that it can be easily stored for those of you who don’t have a lot of counter space to spare. At the end of the day, making your own pasta from home is a great experience for the whole family, so finding a drying rack that you can rely on is the most important thing to remember!